Monday, May 20, 2013

Pronunciation Reminder

How to pronounce "euvoluntary," a quick reminder.

Say the following out loud:
  1. Turn
  2. U-Turn
Easy enough. Now try:
  1. Voluntary
  2. Euvoluntary
I know it looks silly like this, but I chronically mess up terms I only ever see in print. I was just shy of 30 before I learned how "coiffed" is pronounced. And just this last weekend, I heard alternate pronunciations of "Hobbesian." So, you know, I shouldn't make assumptions about how others might endeavor to utter a new word.

1 comment:

  1. Your article helped me to understand the topic well and I would love to share this to my friends. I also love to
    Get Likes for your website and Tech Blog
    Thank you for this and all the best.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have suggestions on where we could find more examples of this phenomenon?