Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Haggling Norms: Euvoluntary?

Jeffrey Tucker (with special thinks to Cathy Reisenwitz) has a great piece on haggling. The question he wants to us to ask ourselves: how is a woman buying a car in Illinois like an American buying a sponge in Italy? As a former expat, I frequently found myself on the short end of the stick abroad. It upset my wife to no end when I'd get shafted by a vendor who mumbled something like, "he's an American, he's got money" in a language he thought I didn't speak.

Still, a deal's a deal. It was voluntary.

But was it euvoluntary? Does the fact that other folks get better deals make your relatively lousy terms of trade unfair? Why? Which EE condition is violated?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have suggestions on where we could find more examples of this phenomenon?