Saturday, November 26, 2011

Airline Travel: Putting Seat Back

Putting the seat back can be pretty bad for the person behind you. Is there a negotiated solution?
Coase might say, "Yes."

But would side payments be okay? Could I offer to give you $20 not to put your seat back? Could you refuse, but then when I get made offer ME $20 to be allowed to put your seat back?

Who "owns" the rights? I think most people say if you sit in a seat, you can put the seat back. Here is a poll: In a recent USA TODAY/TripAdvisor survey that drew more than 6,500 responses, travelers were conflicted: Asked "what's your position on reclining plane seats?" 27% answered, "I have the right to recline," while another 27% said "all seats should be non-reclining." Bringing up the rear: "It's rude to recline" (17%), "I only recline when sleeping" (15%), and "It depends who's behind me" (13%).

But what about mealtime? Should you ask? Should you go slowly?

Three short videos on etiquette. The LMM really hates seat back grabbers.



Thanks to the LMM!

1 comment:

  1. Seat recliners turn me into a seat back grabber.

    13% say "It depends who's behind me"? What types of people is it okay to recline on or not okay to recline on?

    ReplyDelete

Do you have suggestions on where we could find more examples of this phenomenon?